As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you are on a pursuit to have a reserved energy source, you are mostly concerned about your food stocks.
The shelf life of foods gets lower significantly when they are not kept frozen or cooled. So every time there is a power outage we worry about the shelf life of our foods a lot.
The challenge is if you want to run big appliances such as refrigerators and air-conditioners. It is known that these two appliances consume the most power in every home.
So it is only fair to ask if a portable generator can be able to run a fridge or air-conditioner?
It is pretty debatable to answer that question. This is because it depends on the scenario.
In this article, we will ponder upon how large of a generator it will require for you to run such power-hungry appliances.
We will give you our top picks for the amazing portable generators for fridges. If you are in a rush then we advise you to take a glance at this Champion 3400 Watt Dual Fuel Generator.
The Wattage Requirement of a Refrigerator
There are various models of the generator in the world. Each of them has a specific wattage requirement.
The best strategy that you can do is to scan the product’s manual to become aware of its specifications. Also. you can check out the manufacturer’s tag for further info.
There are two numbers you should be aware of are the following:
- Starting watts
- Running watts
It is important that you can determine the power that will help you run that fridge. This type is also called the “Surge wattage”.
Next is the running wattage or also known as the rated wattage. It has the power to sustain the operation of the appliance.
The usual home refrigerators require 1000 to 2000 surge wattage.
It can run both the freezer and fridge without any hassles. This is because of the 2000 surge wattage that it can provide.
You can use it along with a much bigger generator just to be sure. A bigger one will also provide you with extra power for extended use. Also, it will help power up other appliances.
So the question is which portable generator you should pick to power up your refrigerator?
A desirable generator can create up to 3000 surge wattage that can power up a fridge and several appliances.
We suggest that you buy a dual fuel generator. This is because propane is more cost-friendly than regular gas. As a result, you can spare some of your budgets.
There are plenty of benefits that you can get from inverter generators such as the following:
- Runs with minimal noise
- Will not impose risk on your safety
- Good for highly-delicate appliances
The 3 inverter generators listed below are the top picks that we’ve had throughout the years. They are proven reliable in terms of powering fridges and freezers.
It can run a fridge, freezer, and other types of appliances at the same time.
Since it is an inverter type, expect that it is more efficient. It has a dual fuel unit that can accommodate gas or propane as a source of power. This will help you save some money from fuel costs.
The possible run time would be 7 hours at 25 percent load for gasoline and twice the hours for the propane.
As a result, you’ll get more than 20 hours of usage. This will help you refrain from experiencing hassles due to the power outage.
Luckily, we have found this excellent generator with decent power output. It also performs quietly, as a matter of fact, it only emits 60 decibels of noise.
This is just like an idle engine of a car, that’s how the client it is. Moreover, it is a best-value generator that your money can buy.
It is safe to say that if you want a reliable generator then this Champion generator is right here for you.
- Still and low noise
- Extended operating time
- Affordable price
- Can run on both gasoline and propane
- Sometimes the wheels get stuck
- Dual Fuel – Operate your 3400-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 0.6-quarts of oil (recommended 10W-30) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Convenient Electric Start with 3-Position Ignition Switch – Battery included, plus Quick Touch Panel allows you to access all your controls in one spot.Noise Level :59 dBA at 23 feet. Frequency 60 Hz
- Ultra-Quiet Operation – 59 dBA is perfect for RVs, tailgating, your next project or backup power for your home, featuring 3400 starting watts and 3100 running watts with up to 7.5 hours run time on gasoline
- Clean Power for Sensitive Electronics – RV Ready with a 120V 30A RV, plus two 120V 20A household outlets with clean electricity (less than 3% THD) and 12V DC outlet with dual USB adapter
- Champion Support – Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
WEN 5638oi is an affordable but very decent 3000W generator. It can give you sufficient energy to operate several appliances. Some examples of it are the following:
It is crafted to perfection to be efficient for your needs. At 1/4 load, it only emits 57 dB. It is just like two people talking with each other.
This generator is not complex and good for beginners. It is also not demanding in terms of maintenance.
You will also not worry even if you use it on delicate appliances. There are 2 USB ports integrated into the generator for charging your smaller devices.
The fuel-efficiency of this generator is amazing. At half the loads you can get almost 10 hours of run time on its 2.2-gal tank.
It will not have a hard time operating your fridge the whole evening. So we can say that it is super reliable especially when you needed it most.
It is proven the best for people who are on a budget but in need of a high-quality portable generator then this is for you.
- Extended operation hours
- Electric start
- Quiet while in use
- The finishing is made out of plastic
- Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb
- EPA III and CARB Compliant
- 212cc 4-stroke OHV engine produces 3800 surge watts and 3400 rated watts with a half-load runtime of up to 8.5 hours
- Fuel shutoff maximizes the generator’s lifespan by using up the remaining fuel in the carburetor before shutting down
- Produces clean power to prevent damage to sensitive electronics such as smart phones, tablets and laptops
This generator is perfect for backup electricity supply and recreational vehicles.
It can help you power up your fridge and freezers. The good thing about it is its amazing fuel-efficiency.
It has the power to run for almost half-day at a quarter of a load. This is already decent if we will compare it to its competitors.
You can also pair it to another generator so that you can have twice a power output. It can be paired with another 3000w generator for maximum efficiency.
This is already great for powering various appliances simultaneously.
- Performs at a minimal noise
- Light in terms of weight
- Sufficient power output
- Sounds get intense on heavier loads
- Run time: Up to 10 at 1/4 Load
- Running Amps 21.7A
- Alternator: Permanent magnet
- Clean and instant power to keep appliances and other important electronics running during a power outage, 30545s engine speed reduces noise, fuel consumption and emissions
- Quieter than a traditional camping generator with enough power to start a standard RV air conditioner
Will a generator ruin a refrigerator?
There are lots of generators that you can use to operate your fridge without hassles.
Since electronics are very delicate to surges, you must know the answer to this question. It will help you use the appliances without worrying that something wrong will happen.
The great thing is you can securely operate those appliances, especially with the usual open frame generator.
Moreover, we suggest buying inverter generators just like this Champion 3400 because they are very still and not that heavy compared to the common open frame generators.
It can run a sufficient number of appliances without difficulties which makes it a great buy.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.