As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Table tennis is a fun and competitive game played at high speed. It’s kind of a small version of tennis but has a bit different rules.
If you enjoy a good game and would love to add this one to your home, you need to have the best ping pong table along with a racket and a ball. While all three elements are equally important for playing this sport, here, we focus on the table since it’s the piece of gear most difficult to choose.
The size of these tables is of greatest concern since they take a lot of space. Are you going to place the table inside or outside? There are many other things to consider which makes finding the right model pretty difficult.
To help you make the right choice, this buying guide contains all the information you need to know about a table tennis table as well as a review of the best indoor and outdoor tables. So, let’s check it out!
5 Best Indoor Ping Pong TablesInvalid table id.
5 Best Outdoor Ping Pong TablesInvalid table id.
What Should You Consider When Choosing a Ping Pong Table?
Looking for the best ping pong table can turn into a real quest if you don’t know what to look for. To make sure you stay on the right track, here are the aspects you need to consider when choosing this product.
Type of Ping Pong Table
There are two types of table tennis tables: indoor and outdoor. Each type has its own features and offers a different playing experience. Which one you choose, depends on the available space in your home and your preferences.
Indoor tables – Have higher bounces than outdoor tables, which is why they are preferred by most players. They are made of particleboard or melamine resin. Although intended for indoor use, you can also use them outdoors if the weather is good.
Outdoor tables – Perfect for those who live in a small house and don’t have much space indoors. They are made of treated woods and materials that are weather-resistant. The legs and support are rust-proof and the playing surface is moisture-resistant. Plus, they are very sturdy and don’t bend easily nor lose their color.
The location of the ping pong table goes hand in hand with its size. Therefore, before you choose the size of the table, you need to think about where you will place it. Is it going to be in the garage, the hallway, living room, or in your yard?
If you place your table indoors, you should also consider the extra space between the table and the surrounding objects. There should be around 5 feet of space between the table’s length and the wall so that you can move freely while playing and feel more comfortable. Also, there should be around 3 feet between the table’s width and any obstructive object.
Ping pong tables are big and take up much space. While their size isn’t an issue for those living in a larger house, it’s a big issue for those with limited space. That’s why you always have to consider the size of the table and choose the one that fits your available space.
Fortunately, there are mid-sized models that can fit in smaller areas and don’t take up lots of space. Plus, they are foldable, so you can store them easily when not in use. Although smaller, they still offer good performance and playing experience.
When looking at the material the tables are made of, you should make sure it’s of high quality and strong. As mentioned previously, indoor ping pong tables are usually made of particleboard or melamine resin. But, since they are placed inside your home, you shouldn’t ask for more than a good-quality material and strong and durable construction. However, if you are looking for an outdoor table, you should take into account a few additional aspects.
Outdoor tables have to be weather-resistant. Namely, they should be made of materials that are waterproof, moisture-resistant, and rust-resistant. They are usually made of treated woods, metal, and some even with concrete blocks. A great choice would be a playing surface with a matte or glossy finish and steel or aluminum legs. But, if your table will be placed in a sunny spot, its top should absorb the sun so that it doesn’t get in the players’ eyes. Also, it should be easy to clean and maintain and preferably come with a quality weatherproof cover.
Playing Surface Thickness
The thicker the playing surface is the more durable the table is and the better the bounce quality is. Also, it doesn’t warp and offers better performance.
When looking at this feature, make sure that the carriage under the surface is well-flattened to offer a better playing experience. Also, make sure the surface is over 1/3″ thick as the thinner ones are a waste of money.
Since we already mentioned the carriage, let us tell you that it’s important for the setup and portability of the table. To ensure everything is the way you want, check if:
- It’s height-adjustable
- It’s foldable or one-piece model
- Does it have wheels?
The net differs from model to model in its features and performance. That’s why you need to consider 2 features when choosing a ping pong table.
- Suspension cord – This feature holds the net in place, even when there are multiple hits in it.
- Table-net attachment – It can be fixed or removable, with the latter one coming with spring-loaded clips or hand-tightened clamps. The clamps are a better choice and, if possible, choose screw clamps for precision.
If you want a durable and long-lasting table tennis table, you should go for a model that comes with steel frames instead of aluminum ones. Also, consider if there’s an undercarriage and if it’s rust-proof and powder-coated for longevity.
In addition, you should check the overall structure of the table to see if it’s sturdy. Does it stand when pushed accidentally or rested? Is it stable?
While most people forget this aspect, having a ping pong that you can store when not in use is a great advantage. It saves you lots of space and allows you to use that area for something else. This feature is especially important for indoor tables as you don’t want to leave it open in the hallway or living room for days or even weeks until you use it again. That’s why you need to choose a foldable table you can easily store.
The table cover is an important feature to consider for outdoor tables as it protects them from the different weather conditions when not in use. Although these tables are weather-resistant, extra protection doesn’t hurt. That’s why you should go for a model that comes with a cover. But, even if the one that suits you best doesn’t come with a cover, you can always buy it additionally for a few bucks.
This feature is important for those who are serious about ping pong and want to practice it regularly as it allows them to play on their own. Hence, you won’t have to call your friends for a game all the time. Now, you can practice whenever you want.
Although most people overlook this factor, the safety of the ping pong tables is also an important aspect to consider. One would think there’s nothing about these tables that will harm them and that’s mostly true. However, they can pose a great danger if they aren’t made of good quality.
Think of locking mechanism and folding mechanism. What would happen if they aren’t made well? They can roll over while playing or trap your fingers while folding them. Also, if not stable enough, they can fall to one or another side in the middle of the game. That’s why you should always consider the safety of the ping pong table, especially if you have kids as they can be harmed the most.
To prevent any of these accidents, you should go for high-quality tables with sturdy and stable construction and safety features like levers, lock wheels, and padded corners. The levers allow for easy folding whereas lock wheels prevent collapsing of the table. The padded corners prevent injuries on the body from sudden movement or leaning on the table and are especially important when kids play.
This refers to folding the table and then opening it again. To avoid unnecessary issues while setting it up, you should go for a table that can be assembled and disassembled easily and quickly. For the best set up experience, the table should be assembled in no more than 30 minutes and by one person.
This factor helps you determine whether you need a high-end table or a good quality table with good performance. Namely, if you are a beginner or an occasional player who plays with their friends during the weekend, you should choose a medium-range table. However, if you are a serious player who is interested in regular practice, you should go for a high-end table that provides impressive features and excellent performance.
Table tennis tables can go from a couple of hundreds to several thousands of dollars. Their price mostly reflects their quality, performance, and features. Therefore, when choosing a model, think of your needs.
Namely, if you are a ping pong enthusiast who spends a few hours each day practicing, you should go for the best ping pong table on the market. While this usually means spending a fortune, you can often find a high-end table at a medium price (on a sale). You don’t have to buy the most expensive one, right?
On the other hand, if you are a casual player, you should go for a medium-range model that comes at a more affordable price.
And, lastly, choose products with a warranty over those without one. The warranty not only assures you are covered in case of malfunction or any defect but also tells you that the manufacturer knows their product is of great quality.
Most ping pong tables come with a limited or full warranty. Make sure you know what the warranty covers before purchasing a model. If possible, always choose a model with a full warranty over one with a limited warranty.
Review of the 5 Best Indoor Ping Pong Tables
Stiga Advantage is our top choice because it’s of great quality and comes at a great price. It comes with a 5/8″ thick playing surface which is durable and allows for a nice bounce. Moreover, it has a strong construction which ensures its stability during the game. Although big, it’s lightweight, which makes it easy to move if needed.
When it comes to its features, we’ll mention its coated steel legs with 3″ lock wheels. Being made of steel, the legs ensure the stability and the durability of the table. The lock wheels add up to the overall stability and make sure the table stays fixed and stable during the game. Also, the legs have plastic leg levelers that prevent damaging the floor.
Additionally, the table is foldable so you can store it when not in use. This makes it perfect for small homes without much space.
- High-quality product
- Top-notch cotton blend net
- Well-built net post
- Amazing playing surface
- Although lightweight for its size, it can be heavy for some players.
- Competition-ready indoor table tennis table perfect for your home or office
- 10-minute QuickPlay design comes 95% preassembled out of the box for quick and easy setup
- Effortlessly roll and transport table halves using 3” lockable casters for convenient storage and setup
- Excellent playability with 5/8”-thick table top with multiple roller coat finish and silk-screen striping
- Easily attach and remove net with tournament grade 72” clamp-style net and post set
If you want a table tennis table that offers the best value for money, JOOLA Rally TL Professional MDF is the one for you. One of the best things about this model is that it’s 95% pre-assembled so you won’t have to spend much time on that. 15 minutes is all you need to have your new table set and ready to use.
Another great feature is that this model comes with a 4-wheel trolley which allows you to move it easily when folded. There are also lock wheels along with a locking system that make sure the table stays stable and fixed throughout the game.
The playing surface is available in three thickness levels: 0.6″, 0.7″, and 1″. In this way, it allows every player, regardless of their experience, to find a board that will best work for them. And, since all versions are made of MDF board, they offer an impressive bouncing of the ball and durability.
The legs are also of great quality due to being made of steel. They can be adjusted in their height, thus allowing users to customize them according to their needs.
On top of all, there is the lovely design with a smooth black finish that makes the table appealing. Also, there are ball holders, which keep the balls in place, and a double magnetic abacus for keeping score.
- Appealing with a lovely design
- Easy to setup
- Offers excellent bounce of the ball
- Storage space for extra balls
- Lacks leg pads for protecting the floor so you have to be careful when moving the table as not to scratch the surface.
- The magnetic scoring bars have weak magnets.
If you are just starting with ping pong or are looking for a table for your kids, STIGA Synergy is the best ping pong table for beginners. It’s a high-quality product with impressive beginner-friendly features.
One of them is its marking method. Unlike other models, this table doesn’t use paint marking but comes with a silk-screen marking. This makes the playing surface incredibly smooth and flat. Moreover, the board features a 2-inch thick steel apron. This provides reliable and great gameplay.
Additionally, the legs pull out automatically when opened, which makes the table easy to set up and store. The corners are padded with materials that protect the players.
- Perfect for beginners
- Silk-screened surface
- Easy and quick to assemble and store
- 3″ lock mag wheels
- Pretty expensive
- QuickPlay Chassis for Fast Assembly- From Box to Play in 20 Minutes
- 5/8" Thick Black Table Top for Even Bounce
- 1-3/4" Self-Opening Steel Legs
- 3" Mag Wheels with Locks
- 2" Steel Apron with Corner Protectors
For those serious about ping pong and experts, JOOLA Inside – Professional MDF is the best indoor ping pong table. It features a 0.2-inch thick MDF board which allows for consistent bouncing and spin of the ball. Besides its 9 x 5 feet size, this table is lightweight, which makes moving and lifting it a bit easier.
The legs of this table are made of steel, which ensures their strength and durability. Also, it guarantees they keep the table stable while playing. Apart from being made of steel, they are also height-adjustable, which allows players to customize the table according to their needs.
Joola Inside Professional MDF table is also very easy to move and store since it comes with a trolley. Also, it’s made of 2 pieces that can fold for easy storage in tight spaces. Moreover, it’s very easy to set up as it’s 95% pre-assembled.
What makes this table perfect for pros is that features a playback feature. Hence, you can practice on your own whenever you want. Plus, the post and net set are tournament-grade for an even better playing experience.
- Easy to assemble, move, and store
- Playback feature
- Sturdy undercarriage
- Tournament-grade net and post set
- Steel, adjustable legs
- Lightweight, which suggests it may not last long and may warp or break.
- The bounce can be improved.
- The screws may need to be fastened.
The last one from our indoor ping pong tables is designed for those who want to practice on their own as it offers the best playback mode. Apart from its impressive performance, this table is incredibly stable due to having locking wheels that keep it fixed while playing as well as strong legs and a high-quality frame.
GamePoint is perfect for indoor use since it’s foldable, which makes it easy to store in small spaces. Also, it’s very easy to set up (in less than 10 minutes) because it comes 90% pre-assembled.
And, let’s not forget its elegant design which makes it a perfect, decorative addition to every room. For added protection, there’s also a removable top layer that protects the table from bending, rust, and direct exposure to the sun.
- Lovely design
- Easy to set up, move, and store
- Great playback feature
- Competitive price
- DURABLY BUILT - The GamePoint ping pong table is a Beauty to Behold, Easy to Handle and simply Amazing to Play On. The Blue-on-Black color scheme adds a Sensational style while the Strong Steel Frame gives you the High Quality you want.
- SUPERIOR DEVELOPMENT - The composite tabletop is Built to Resist Rust, Sun Damage, Warping and is supported by a Teal Apron lined with Silkscreen Striping printed on the tabletop.
- PREMIUM LOCKING WHEELS - The Superior ping pong table set allows a Portable and non-permanent set-up with an Easy Locking Mechanism. Smoothly Roll over surfaces for convenient transportability with 3-inch caster wheels as the standard.
- HIGH STANDARDS - The Locking Wheels are built to reach tournament grade standards that keeps the table in place for added safety and stability and smooth, effortless mobility.
- QUICK AND EASY SET-UP - Fast and effortless, GamePoint’s Tennis Tables come 90% preassembled and takes about 10 minutes from the box, to ready to play. Both sides fold together taking up minimal space in storage.
Review of the 5 Best Outdoor Ping Pong Tables
Joola NOVA is our top pick among outdoor ping pong tables because it suits all players regardless of their experience, offers impressive features, and has a competitive price.
This model has a top-quality design with a board that helps improve players’ skills and performance and guarantees the durability of the table, even in extreme weather conditions. There are also a net and a deck, which improve the overall playing experience.
The playing surface is 0.23 inches thick and made of plastic and aluminum, which makes it very strong, durable, and weather-resistant. Plus, it offers decent ball bouncing and accurate performance.
Apart from its performance, JOOLA NOVA comes with great technical specifications. It’s easy to assemble and store due to having easy-to-follow instructions and being foldable. Also, it’s flexible, versatile, and mobile and can be split into two halves for easy storing and enabling the playback mode.
- Strong construction
- Great design
- Decent performance
- Suitable for using indoors and outdoors
- Competitive price
- The ball bounce is not as good as in other tables and should be improved.
If you want the best from the best, the Kettler #SketchPong Indoor/Outdoor ping pong table is the one for you. Coming with the most impressive features found in ping pong tables and approved by the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) is undoubtedly the best premium table of its kind.
It comes in a size of 108” L x 60” W x 30”, which is standard for tournaments and can be used casually or professionally. Plus, it can be divided into two parts so that players can play on their own.
Kettler #SketchPong is one of the most durable options on the market you can rely on. It features an ALU-TEC playing surface that is resistant to scratches, fading, and UV rays, and provides an amazing ball bounce. Moreover, its legs are strong and powder-coated to ensure the durability of the frame.
There’s also box storage on either side as well as an elastic band for storing bats and other accessories.
One drawback of this table is that it’s very difficult to assemble. It requires two people and a few hours to set it up.
- The most durable table of all
- Lovely design
- Strong construction
- Impressive features
- Difficult to assemble
- The ball bounce can be improved
- Completely weatherproof, International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) approved tournament sized table, measuring 108" L x 60" W x 30" H
- Playing surface has a coating of blackboard paint, which allows you to use chalk to doodle, sketch, write messages and even keep track of scoring
- Designed with an ALU-TEC surface which encapsulates a resin treated board in aluminum which permanently seals the wood and retains a true bounce experience
- Unique water-based paint and topcoat are UV, scratch and fade resistant; Steel legs have a synthetic powder coating and galvanized treatment to guard against corrosion
- Each table half features a ball storage box, allowing for quick access to keep the game going; Under both net posts, an elastic band storage area secures additional accessories
When you want a table that offers the best value for money, Harvil Outsider is your go-to choice. It’s made of long-lasting weather-resistant aluminum and powder-coated steel frame. This guarantees its durability over the years.
Apart from being incredibly resistant and durable, this table tennis table is also compact and foldable, which makes it easy to store. It’s also easy to re-assemble as will need around 10 minutes to set it up when taken out of storage. Moreover, it has locking features which ensure the table’s stability during the game. And, it can be divided in half, which allows it to be used for solo practice.
- Made of weather-resistant materials
- Incredibly durable
- Easy to assemble and store
- Doesn’t include paddles and ball.
- The underside isn’t weatherproof.
- PERFECT FOR OUTDOOR USE - The Harvil Outsider Table Tennis Table has a weather-proof, aluminum tabletop thats supported diagonally by a powder-coated steel frame. Assembled dimensions: 108 L x 60 W x 30 H inches/ Storage position: 61.5 L x 23.6 W x 63.5 H inches/ Table top: 60 L x 54 W x 0.24 inches thick/ Weight: 147.67 pounds
- PORTABLE and COMPACT - Equipped with sturdy, easy to lock and unlock wheels that provide both stability and mobility. This ping pong table can also be folded for playback and for convenient storage.
- VIBRANT PING PONG TABLE TOP - White vibrant lines on the playing surface effectively outlines the boundaries for easy play. Includes Table Tennis net and post. Racket and ball set sold separately.
- MANUFACTURER WARRANTY - Your table will arrive with all the necessary parts, without defect and/or shipping damage. Well ship new replacement parts or an entirely new table at no cost in the event of defect or damage. If you still arent satisfied, youll get a full refund. We also offer in-home delivery and assembly for an added fee. In the 1-year warranty period, we will repair or replace defective parts at no cost to the purchaser.
- DESIGNED AND ENGINEERED BY HARVIL - All Harvil items are designed and engineered by creative people right here in the USA. We are a family business and we design our products to be enjoyed by family and friends. Even though many of these items are manufactured in Asia, we are proud to have Americans who understand Americans needs bringing our items to life.
If you want a table that offers great performance but doesn’t cost a fortune, Cornilleau – 500M Crossover is the outdoor ping pong table for you. Being a mid-range table, it comes with some great features that ensure a fun and pleasant game.
One of its features is mobility. Due to having 8-inch wheels and good design, this table is easy to move around and improves the overall playing experience.
Another feature is its weather-resistance. Namely, this table is made of the best quality materials and features rust-resistant construction which ensures it stays intact by the different weather conditions. There’s also a waterproof net that can be adjusted to players’ needs.
In terms of performance, the 0.27-inch resin laminate playing surface provides an impressive ball bounce and professional gameplay. There’s also a folding system, which allows you to store it in small spaces.
- Made of top-quality materials
- Great ball bounce
- Adjustable length
- Easy to store
- 2 wheel brakes
- 10-year warranty
- Somewhat expensive
- Maintaining the wheel brakes can be hard.
- Excellent Bounce - 7mm Laminate Surface with Glare Reduction (10x)
- Safe and Easy to fold for Storage or Playback
- Galvanized Steel Frame, wheel chair friendly, Adjustable legs
- Larger double-wheels (almost 8") with notched tread
The last table tennis table on our list comes from the renowned brand Stiga. This model offers the best tech support but also truly amazing features. It features an aluminum top finish and quality powder coating as well as waterproof galvanized legs. This makes it capable of withstanding all weather conditions, even the extreme ones. And, the weatherproof international-grade net and post ensure its durability.
Apart from being weatherproof, this model is also resistant to bending and deforming. It has a 1.5-inch tube-shaped steel apron that provides a good ball bounce. Moreover, it’s foldable which makes it easy to store when not in use. And, the locking wheels ensure an easy movement.
- Offers good ball bounce
- International-grade net and post
- Pretty affordable
- The weather-resistant top cover isn’t included.
- The playing surface could be thicker for an even better bounce.
- Slightly heavier than other tables of its kind.
Why Buy a Table Tennis Table?
Having a ping pong table at home allows you to practice the game alone or with your friends/family at any time you want. Also, there’s no need to leave your home and go to the nearest game center to play a few rounds. And, no more waiting in line.
These tables are also a great addition to your game room and perfect for weekend fun and family/friend gatherings. And, let’s not forget it can help you lose some pounds with all that moving and forgetting to eat unhealthy snacks.
What Size Do Table Tennis Tables Come in?
These tables come in various sizes. If you want a standard-size table, you should go for a model that has dimensions of 9 x 5 inches and a playing surface that is 30 inches high.
In terms of performance, you should choose a table that provides at least 9 inches bounce level when the ball is hit from a height of 11.81 inches.
What Size the Playing Area Should Be?
If you want to place your ping pong table indoors, you should locate it in a room with dimensions of at least 19 x 11 feet and 6 feet clearance space on the width. There should be 5 feet space between the table and the surrounding objects. This will ensure there’s no bumping in the furniture or walls and no obstacles.
What Are the Best Table Tennis Brands?
There are several table tennis manufacturers on the market that produce quality and durable tables with good performance. Those are:
- Kettler – German brand offering top-quality products on the market that has been honored as an exclusive supplier of ping pong gear in 1996.
- Stiga – Swedish brand with a stellar reputation that produces products of great quality and performance at an affordable price.
- Cornilleau – This brand produces high-end luxurious ping pong gear of the highest quality. But, their products are expensive.
What About Joola?
Although a very popular brand in the ping pong industry, Joola’s products don’t offer quality, durability, and performance as good as the above-mentioned brands. Nonetheless, their products are still good and at an affordable price.
How Are Table Tennis Tables Transported?
If you want to move your table from one place to another in your home, it’s easy since most models today have wheels and are foldable. However, if you want to transport them over a long distance, you’ll need a van or a smaller truck.
How Are Ping Pong Tables Maintained?
To maintain your table, you need to clean it regularly and properly. It’s best to use a water-vinegar mix and a soft cloth to remove any dirt from the table. Make sure you don’t scrub forcefully but pass the surface gently. Remember, you should remove the net before you start cleaning the table.
If possible, you should store it when not in use. But if the model isn’t foldable, you should use a cover to protect it from external agents, such as sunlight, dust, as well as accidental scratches. This is especially important for outdoor tables.
Whether you are a ping pong enthusiast looking to improve their game or a casual player who plays for fun, having a table tennis table at your home is a great choice. You can practice whenever you want, solo or with your friends or relatives.
But finding the best ping pong table for your needs can be difficult since there are a lot of aspects you need to consider. From the type of table and its size to the thickness of the playing surface and frame, there’s too much to think of.
To help you out with that, in this article, we’ve listed all the factors you should take into account when choosing a table. Also, we provided you with the best indoor and outdoor tables on the market. And, we hope all of this will help you choose the model that will suit your needs and preferences the most.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.